Zone I • Versions ZH2
Abstract: High Asia is a high-altitude region in Asia mainly comprised of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. As an important zone for snow distribution in the middle and low latitudes, dynamic changes of its snow cover have a great impact on the water and energy cycle, climate and environmental changes in the region. Snow water equivalent (SWE) products (such as ESA GlobSnow), which are widely used around the world, are insufficient for High Asia, and certain global algorithms may generate overestimated data when applied in High Asia. Based on the AMSR-E brightness temperature data, we used the NASA standard algorithm and an optimized algorithm to produce two sets of ASMR-E snow-water equivalent data for the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau from 2002 to 2011. A validation of the improved algorithm against the snow depth measured by ground meteorological stations indicated an improved accuracy of the algorithm. In addition, we obtained another comprehensive set of data for microwave and optical snow water equivalents from 2003 to 2011, based on MODIS daily cloud-free snow cover products and SWE products generated by NASA snow algorithm. The three sets of snow water equivalent data provide statistical support for scientific research pf climate change, water and energy balance, environmental change and water use in High Asia.
Keywords: snow water equivalent; High Asia; blended product; algorithm
|Title||Passive microwave remote sensing data of snow water equivalent in High Asia|
|Data corresponding author||Qiu Yubao|
|Data authors||Qiu Yubao, Lu Jieyu, Shi Lijuan, Xie Pengfei, Liang Wenshan, Wang Xingxing|
|Time range||This SWE dataset includes the following three products:|
(1) SWE product based on NASA algorithm, abbreviated as NASA-HMA-SWE products, with a time range from June 2002 to September 2011;
(2) SWE product based on RADI algorithm, abbreviated as RADI-QTP-SWE products, with a time range from January 2003 to October 2011;
(3) Integrated SWE product based on MODIS and AMSR-E, abbreviated as Blended-HMA-SWE products, with a time range from January 2003 to October 2011.
|Geographical scope||High Asia is a high-altitude area centered on the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau in central Asia. Its geographical range is 25°N–45°N and 67°E–107°E. Published SWE data products are of three types, the scope of which is as follows:|
(1) NASA-HMA-SWE product: 25°N–45°N and 67°E–107° E;
(2) RADI-QTP-SWE product: 26°N–40°N, 73.45°E–104.6° E;
(3) Blended-HMA-SWE product: 25°N–45° N and 67°E–107°E.
|Spatial resolution||(1) NASA-HMA-SWE products: 0.25°;|
(2) RADI-QTP-SWE products: 0.25°;
(3) Blended-HMA-SWE product: 500 m.
|Data volume||17.7 GB|
|Data format||(1) NASA-HMA-SWE product data format: *.bin, *.png|
(2) RADI-QTP-SWE product data format: *.bin, *.tif, *.hdf, *.png, *.qa, *.met
(3) Blended-HMA-SWE product data format: *.bld, *.png
|Data service system||http://www.sciencedb.cn/dataSet/handle/660|
|Sources of funding||Research Fund for Public Welfare Industry: Meteorology (GYHY201206040), National Key Research and Development Plan of China – Key Project of "International Inter-governmental Collaboration for Science and Technology Innovation" (2017YFE0111700), International Cooperation Program of China Academy of Sciences (131211KYSB20170041), National Natural Science Foundation of China (41371351).|
|Dataset composition||The dataset consists of 3 compressed packages, each of which is named after product name followed by the time range it spans:|
(1) NASA-HMA-SWE_2002-2011.zip is NASA-HMA-SWE product data, with a data volume of about 189 MB;
(2) RADI-QTP-SWE_2003-2011.zip is RADI-QTP-SWE product data, with a data volume of about 116 MB;
(3) Blended-HMA-SWE_2003-2011.zip is Blended-HMA-SWE product data, with a data volume of about 17.4 GB.
Released: Nov. 1, 2018 （ VersionsZH2）